Each season brings new things for your pet to explore and if the threat of extreme cold has passed for now this doesn’t mean that you should just allow your cat to roam free. Here are some tips on how to keep your cat safe in Spring and some of the most important threats that you might not have thought about.
Just as we tend to be allergic to some plants, pollens or other substances during springtime, so can our furry friends and the typical symptoms are runny eyes, problems breathing, sneezing and an itchy skin. If you see any of these signs then you should see a vet to determine what the cat is allergic to and maybe prescribe some form of treatment.
Among the insects that are dangerous for cats, fleas and ticks can be really problematic and during this period they increase their numbers so make sure that the vaccinations or other treatments that might help them with this are up to date.
A serious problem can also start from playing with a bee or wasp as their stings will be quite painful. If you don’t see symptoms of swelling or problems breathing then it means that your cat isn’t allergic to them so a vet might not be required. Popular treatments for bee stings are some water and bicarbonate of soda to clean the wound, while for wasps some lemon juice will ease the pain.
Plants and Flowers
Among the plants there is quite a large variety that is dangerous for cats and among the ones that are most common we should mention lilies, azaleas or daffodils. Keep these out of the reach of the cat as they are poisonous for them if ingested. Symptoms may appear even if they touch these plants.
The usual signs of poisoning are to see the cat lose coordination, start to vomit or get diarrhea and also begin to drool. If these happen you should rush to the vet before the cat gets into a more serious condition.
Slugs and Snails
Even if snakes or other dangerous animals like those are probably unlikely to put your pet in danger if you live in the city, there are smaller threats as well. Slugs and snail pellets contain a compound called metaldehyde which is dangerous for cats even in small quantities so you should pay attention to remove any you find in your back yard.
If you know that your cat made contact with one of the snail pellets then it is imperative that you rush them to a veterinarian as the symptoms are extreme. Within an hour of ingesting this substance the cat starts to lose coordination they get muscle spasms, twitching and even seizures or death!